These peanut butter cookies are slightly chewy, soft-centred, and encased in a crispy golden exterior. Just perfect for piling onto a pretty plate alongside your mid-morning cup of earl grey or english breakfast tea. What we love most about these cookies is the excellent underlying richness from using smooth Fix & Fog peanut butter instead of flour. You can keep them pure with only the three base ingredients or get creative with all kinds of glorious add-ins. They come out quite crispy, so add one small mashed banana to the mix if you prefer a chewier cookie.
Here's why you'll adore these peanut butter cookies:
- Have some surprise friends popping over for tea? Not to worry, these peanut butter cookies can be whipped up in 10 minutes flat, with only 8 minutes or so in the oven. That's quicker than it would take to pop to the grocery store and back.
- Instead of using flour, the peanut butter creates a rich and delicious base for these cookies. Great for those who are avoiding gluten or if you're keen to try a different textured cookie.
- These sweet cookies would be fantastic as a homemade present with a lovely box of organic tea. Wrap the cookies up prettily, and finish the parcel with a ribbon or simple piece of twine.
- The recipe is nicely versatile and can be fancied up in various ways. Below we've included a handy list of additional add-ins if you feel like elevating them to another level.
- To make them entirely plant-based, you could use a flax egg instead. Simply mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseed or chia seeds with 3 tbsp water and allow to thicken for 5 minutes or so before adding to the mix.
- The cookies can be kept for up to 4 days in an airtight container. They also freeze really well. Great to grab and go as needed!
Now that we've talked you into these wonderfully simple peanut butter cookies, all that's left to do is bake and eat them!
3/4 cup Fix & Fog smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut, brown or regular sugar
1 free-range egg
White chocolate chips and cranberries for a festive touch
Add 1 mashed banana for a softer, chewier cookie
Fold in a cup of finely sliced dates, dried figs or apricots
A blend of nuts, seeds, or dried shredded coconut adds texture
Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips or roughly chopped chocolate
Add a touch of vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon or ground ginger for warmth
Fold 1/2 cup rolled oats and some raisins through the mix for a heartier cookie
Top each with a Hershey's kiss or square of chocolate
Drizzle melted chocolate for a pretty topping
Sprinkle coarse sea salt on top for a salty touch
Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a tray with baking paper.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and a good pinch of sea salt, and mix until the dough becomes tacky and easier to manage. If adding any additional ingredients, you can add them at this point.
Using your hands, roll the mixture into golf-sized balls and place them 2-3 cm apart on the baking tray. Using your fingers or a fork, flatten the cookies in half.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Makes 10- 12 cookies.