This supremely moist lemon cake is beautifully soft and springy in texture. Its crumb is so luxuriously buttery; you won't believe it only uses a handful of basic, everyday ingredients! The simple lemon cake recipe has no-frills, and is super delicious as it comes. However, if you are feeling fancy, there's an abundance of ways you can jazz it up too. In the photos we’ve incorporated frozen raspberries and finished with a heavy drizzling of lemon curd.
Regarding tea pairings, we love to enjoy a thick slice warm from the oven alongside a freshly brewed pot of Blood Orange or Berry tea. Sweet lemon cake and herbal tea truly is the loveliest combination to celebrate Spring!
Here's a few ways to enhance this lemon cake recipe:
- Fold 1 cup fresh or frozen berries into the batter.
- Top with fresh, frozen or preserved stone fruit, such as plums, nectarines or cherries.
- Add 1 cup diced dates, raisins or dried figs to the mix.
- Bring warmth with a hint of vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon or ginger.
- Make it slightly crunchy with 1/2 cup shredded coconut or chopped nuts.
Make it even more fancy with these simple toppings:
- Make a simple frosting with mascarpone and a touch of vanilla, honey or maple.
- Pour over a drizzle made with lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Top with homemade lemon curd.
- A simple lemony buttercream also works well.
- Dust simply with icing sugar.
Alright, let's get baking! Here's how to make our simple lemon cake:
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup natural yoghurt
1/2 cup olive oil, melted butter or coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
Zest of two lemons
2 free-range eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt
Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease or line a small cake or loaf tin with baking paper.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. If adding any additional elements, you can fold them in now.
Tip the batter into your prepared cake tin, and smooth out evenly.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean once inserted into the middle of the cake.
Allow cooling before carefully transferring to a serving plate.
Decorate as you please using the above ideas.
Will keep for up to 5 days stored in an airtight container.